Saturday, May 21, 2011

Coffee Break and The Week in Review

Last night my husband got home from being away for a few days for work.   No matter how much he wanted to be at home, there is work to be done that cannot be delayed forever no matter the desire to do so. The deciding factor was more to do with how I was going and whether I could confidently do what I needed to do on a day to day basis.

I am pretty self sufficient now with the only thing that I really need help with being getting the compression socks on for day and TEDs for night.  These special socks are knee high and not the nicest things to get on and off.  They are used as a blood clot preventative recommended by the rehab doctor for at least six weeks post-op until my mobility increases and is a little closer to normal.  There are differing opinions as to the duration required, the time that it will take for mobility to return to normal and what activity level will prevent the development of clots.  The time frame recommended is at least the six weeks while I am on the clexane injections (aka lovenox, a blood thinner, daily self-administered injections).  My GP suggests that after the six weeks are up that this is a decision that I need to make based on how mobile I think I am as to whether I continue wearing them.  At this stage, it really doesn't hurt to be cautious, though a little time off from them each day since that the clexane finishes today will be most welcome.

I had some awesome sock helpers come and stay through the week to help me out with this and keep me company through the week.  Special thanks for the help and the company!  Even though I know I would be fine home alone, it is nice to have someone around to chat to (and overdose on chocolate or apple crumble with as it really is no fun to moan to yourself that you ate too much and can't move!)

Physio this week was great and there were increases to the measurements that we made for the range of movements last week.  I'm expecting another change when we measure again next week.  Amazingly it is the hip flexion that is lacking over abduction.  The reason I find this a little odd is that it was very much the reverse pre-op and I had really expected them to return and strengthen in the reverse order.  Hip flexion equates to more of my functional goals at the moment.  Stairs without compensation vaulting being the big one.  Once the hip precautions are removed, it will be an important part of building the strength to drive again as well.   The exercises to strengthen these muscles are becoming more manageable since I have been able to start leg lifts using my own strength.

Today was a big sleep in day.  It was awesome to have no where to be and nothing to prepare for this morning.  Coupled with a late night last night chatting with my husband and a big week, the extra sleep was welcome.  I can sleep on either side now quite comfortably so even though I wake to move, I am able to move into different sleeping positions safely (ie not breaking hip precautions) and getting a reasonably good sleep each night.

After a lazy start, we headed out to have coffee with friends of ours.  This time when we arrived, I used the stairs and not the elevator.  I wouldn't have contemplated that week.  I'm not sure if the stairs weren't even and smaller than normal but I was able to step up without compensation on just over half of them.  When I arrived at the top of the stairs, I walked the long way around to the front of the restaurant and arrived at the same time as our friends.

This afternoon has been rest, catching up on email and reading some of the blogs that I frequent.  The feet on the recliner are up, the tv is on in the background and as I think of it, there are foot pumps or muscle contractions or little leg lifts, just something to keep moving while I kick back.

No comments:

Post a Comment