Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Six Week Surgical Review

I went to visit the surgeon on Monday for my six week post-op review. I was a little nervous the night before and while driving back into the hospital. Realistically, I know I've done well and my progress has been steady, so there was no real reason to be nervous. I'm not quite sure what started up the butterflies but they were quickly squashed.

On the way in, we were a little early and managed to get a 15 minute parking spot just in front of the coffee shop so the day was starting off well.

When we arrived in the surgeon's office, we were sent upstairs for new x-rays. Q-Scan uses the new digital machines so I have a nice little CD with the three views showing the perfect placement of my two BMHRs. I had to download a view for the Mac (it came with a windows viewer - the one I downloaded is free and pretty cool. It's a DICOM viewer called Osirix) and now when I have a few minutes I will be able to upload some clearer images. It still amazes me that they are in there. The joints don't feel anything but natural. I guess after so many years of crunching and ROM limitations my idea of normal is a joint with smooth, fluid movement. I know that my limiting factors at the moment as far as mobility goes are to do with muscle strength and tightness not the actual joints themselves.

We headed back to the surgeon's office and saw him pretty quickly. He's pretty happy with my progress and gave me the all clear to lift the hip restrictions. We had a quick chat about my progress, the improvement of the left side foot drop (all better now) and other bits and pieces. The Four Corners piece was raised, which I commented that I hadn't seen though I had heard that it was quite biased and that kind of led into a general conversation about acetabular cup placement (mine is perfect, having an awesome experienced surgeon is crucial), the number of resurfacings he has done (700+) and the success he has had with the BHR (The BMHR is still new though the data is much like the BHR's early data and is promising).

I asked about metal testing and pregnancy for when we get to that point in a couple of years. I was asked if I would supply test results when we go down that path and I said I would happily volunteer results for data for a study on the MOM devices.

[Side Note: I really believe that they are the best option for a lot of people, not just people like me. Some articles still suggest the MOM devices are not suitable for women of child bearing age as there is some evidence that the metal-ions pass through the blood barrier, however, there is no evidence that it will cause any problems. This may get a lot of negative comments and I challenge the naysayers to find hard data before name calling. I am open to an open dialogue of the issue, however, comments with rude remarks will not be accepted. I trust my surgeon and the data that he has researched as an expert in this field. The research I have done supports my belief in him. The decision to have the procedure was not one made without great consideration of a lot of factors. I will eventually write more on the topic of making this decision, so at some point the label 'Decision' will have more posts. Just like this part of our lives, we will do due diligence to any big decisions that we make. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.]

I enjoyed the appointment. I think I'm an interesting topic to talk about! Actually it's the shiny new hips that are interesting as well as the progress that's been made and will be made and all things relating to the new parts that the surgeon knows that I don't. The summary of the appointment is that all is good and I am due for review again in September.

In the meantime, HIP RESTRICTIONS ARE LIFTED! Not that I can really exceed 90 degree hip flexion, but that isn't the point. The point is that the risk of dislocation has reduced and I have passed that first hurdle. (There are other things that I don't have to be as concerned about either - though the seat height is probably the one that functionally is the most difficult to deal with.) It's nice to be able to be able to stretch a bit more, to reach down to at least try and touch my toes - still a few inches off and my hamstrings are squealing! They need a lot of stretching out just like pretty much everything else. I can't reach as far as I could pre-op yet, though it has been almost seven weeks since I've done that stretch so I guess it isn't too surprising that it isn't the easiest thing to do.

So the plan for the coming week is as much stretching as possible and keep on top of the exercises. I have a little bit of work to do tomorrow so I'm going to have to figure that into my day as well to make sure everything gets done. I feel like I should be doing more by now but I am still tiring easily. It's getting better as each day passes though there is still a little way to go yet.

With that in mind, I really need some sleep. It's way past the bed time I have gotten used to. Even though I've always loved sleep, I need even more these days. I guess that's an indicator that my body is still investing a lot of energy into the healing process.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment