Sunday, August 28, 2011

Baking up a storm

Saturday involved about six hours of baking in preparation for my sister's kitchen tea today.  There were red velvet cupcakes, butter cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate mud cupcakes, mini lemon meringue cheescakes and amaretti (almond cookies) all in rather large quantities.

I was tired at the end of it all and my feet hurt.  My hips didn't.  There is no way I could have handled that much baking pre-op without some serious consequences.  Pre-op I would have started to have pain after about an hour and would have been hobbling around and feeling a rather intense amount of pain in my right hip.  By the end of the effort, I would have been leaning on walls, tables or anything close to get anywhere as my full weight on my right hip would have been screaming at me.  I would have felt the pain even when I sat and wouldn't have been able to get comfortable enough to sleep.  It is likely that I would have taken a couple  of panadeine forte to try and take the edge of a little bit, just enough to try to relax.  The pain relief wouldn't always take the edge off and never took the pain away completely.  The muscles around my hips would have been tight like rope and there would be some muscle spasming causing sharp stabbing pains as I tried to relax.  This was a a kind of pain that was significantly worse than my post-op pain levels.    

This pain would last for a number of days and see me fatigued for days after that.  My sister's engagement party saw me out of action for the best part of a week.  During that time I was on increased anti-inflammatories and additional pain relief.

Now, the day after, I'm just a little sleepy from having a busy weekend.  There is no pain. My calves and the muscles that run down the back of my feet are a little tight, as are my shoulders but this is what I would consider normal types of muscle tightness after standing with poor posture for that many hours.  I must have been hunched over to be tight across the back of the shoulders.  Awesome, hey!  I really do mean that.  A normal body reaction to poor behaviour.  Normal.  No meds.  Wow.

The countdown to my sister's wedding is on.  Next weekend we have dress fittings, the weekend after the 'Girls Night' and then the next after that is the big day.  I'm going to be in pretty great condition by then.  It's all happening.

4 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm really happy for you.
    Cupcakes look amazing ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roxanne! I'm a bit of a fan of baking - and eating :) Being able to stand for so long is pretty amazing and I'm still getting even better every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Lori! Six hours. You might be able to do a marathon in 6 hours one day...Not recommending it...But could!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good do those cakes look! My favorite is still the red velvet.

    ReplyDelete