Thursday, August 25, 2011

Down for the count and a week of updates

Since my last post, I was down with a cold/flu for about a week.  Three of those days I slept for almost the whole day and in my few lucid moments, I thought that I might have felt worse than when I did when I was in hospital after my op.  I'm not sure if the memories have faded or whether the fog of congestion distorted the true state of things, but at the time it was the worst thing in the world.

I couldn't even help puppy sit on the weekend which was quite sad.  By Tuesday I felt a lot better and though I wasn't totally on top of things yet, the massive difference between not being able to scrape myself out of bed and being up and about made Tuesday feel amazing.  I spent most of the day looking after the puppy from across the street since his human was away for a few days.  The little rascal is a bit of a Houdini and I spent a good part of the day getting enough exercise to make up for the few days in bed.  I think that Jack, aka the little rascal, had realised on Tuesday that I was one big sucker for that cute little face and that I would be his human for a few days while his was away.  He really is a good puppy, it's just that puppies have a lot of energy and I'm not quite there yet.  I did get a good sleep when his human came home on Wednesday night.  The handover was kind of like giving him away which is a little weird since we were only puppy sitting, though I guess that I had fallen for the little guy some time ago.  I can still visit him there and maybe sometime soon, I'll be able to take him for some long walks.

I missed physio on Monday but made it in for a session on Wednesday.  Even though I walked in without the cane, the big 'look at me' moment was walking up and down the stairs without holding a railing or using the cane.  It's something that I have been practicing for quite a while.  In the last two weeks I had become brave enough to not hold on to the rail but I would still hover my hand near it - just in case.  My active ranges had dropped a couple of degrees, though I am not surprised or disappointed as I really did nothing for the best part of a week and was still a little fatigued.   The fact that I could breath through my nose again was just too much of a natural high for a couple of degrees to dampen my spirits.I have no doubt that I will be back and improving those again in no time.  

After a big sleep in today, I headed into work to catch up on a few things.  I've been walking around a lot more without my cane, though I still carry it around in my laptop case (it folds down!).  The only real place I need to use it is when I go to the bathrooms.  The main reason for this is the large step at the door that has no where to lean.  I could probably manage it, though I am still a little wary, especially in areas that could be wet and slippery.  Every now and then I have those 'almost could have been really bad' moments where I'm reminded that I still need to be careful.  I'm still six or so weeks away from the point where the risk of fracture to my femurs reduces.  Six months and twelve months are the points where the risks drop off quite substantially.  

Tomorrow, I'm back at Pilates.  Looking forward to reformer time!  I'm starting to think that my left leg not only has more range than it did pre-op, it is also stronger than it was before.  It's a pretty amazing outcome.  The surgery has been a massive success and I'm looking forward to see what the outcomes as my strength continues to increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment