Monday, June 13, 2011

I can drive again!

Today my sister came and picked me up in my car and we went to the ring road on the Griffith Uni campus which is pretty flat and very quiet on non-uni days (it's a public holiday here today).  I wanted to get behind the wheel on a flat road with little traffic to see if I could drive.  I figured that the low speed limit and the speed bumps would give me a chance to change gears quite a few times if I did a few laps.

When I got behind the wheel and started to drive, it felt normal and I didn't even do a lap, we just left the campus and headed out for lunch.

After we got home, I called a friend and headed out again.  This trip I went on the freeway with the music up loud.  It felt like freedom.  It felt like life was pretty much normal again.  Ok, so I still need at least a single crutch (and two if out in public) but for those few moments when I'm driving, I'm in control of my life again and its starting to seep into my general mood.

This could be the start of the next step of the rehabilitation process.

No comments:

Post a Comment