Wednesday, June 29, 2011

End of Financial Year Craziness

And so it starts.  It is my busy time of year and the craziness has begun.  The next two weeks will really be a test of how rehabilitated I really am.  The extra days of work that I picked up about two weeks ago were to start the setup of a new digital setup for cut over at the start of the new financial year. The work that I started a month or so ago has all of the end of year things to do like payment summaries and the like.  Between the two of them, I'm busier than I have been in a very long time.  I'm trying to keep work on just the three days a week so I have four days to make sure that everything else gets done.  I haven't done so well yet as little things are creeping into other days as I'm capping out at about five - six hours of work in a day and some days I really need a little bit more than that.  Mostly this is because of the amount of data entry that I need to get done at the moment to set up this new system.  I don't think that my brain was working properly when I estimated how long the task would actually take.  My brain is getting back into gear as I get back into things.  It's almost there (the setup and my brain!) and I will be going back in tomorrow to keep working on it.  Tomorrow is expected to be a big day so today was a work day reprieve so that I could get a few other things done.

Today's big activity was grocery shopping, which I managed on my own.  I also got all of the groceries into the house by myself, put them away and then organised dinner.  It wasn't a full shop as it is an in between week, so I've started off a little easier on myself.  The last time I went grocery shopping, I went with my husband and he brought everything in so even though it has been less, I still did it by myself.

I'm still at six minutes on the elliptical today.  I was supposed to go up to seven but by the time I had the groceries away and had cooked dinner, I hit the wall and the second session only went to two and a half.  It doesn't sound like much but it is for me at the moment.  My cardio fitness is pretty disgraceful at the moment and will take a little while to recoup.  I haven't been able to do any real cardio activity for quite some time so I'm not overly surprised at the level that I'm starting from.  On the plus side, even though the muscles are fatiguing quite quickly, they are holding up to a lot faster movement than I expected at this early stage.  I'm not quite sure how the speed equates to walking due to the differences in the stride length but for me I think that averaging between 3 - 5 km/hr is definitely a great start.  If I can maintain this speed and improve my stamina, I think I would increase the resistance and incline as part of the program before trying to speed it up anymore.

I'm not quite sure what my walking speed is like at the moment and can't really think of a great way to measure it.  I had thought about using a pedometer when I go out to get a rough idea but it didn't really work out.   I tried using it around the house to count steps but it looks like I still have too much sway as it is counting too many steps.  I had wanted to record the number of steps each day to see the increase in my activity but it looks like it will have to wait for a little while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment