Monday, June 20, 2011

My Walking Stick

After my conversation with Reese at Hydro last week about moving to a cane / walking stick, I figured that I would get one of the cool ones that I spoke of way back in March when I saw a girl about the same age as me with one.  She had the one called Poppies.  I liked Bubbles (like the picture here) and called around the retailers to find one in stock.  The company that makes them is called Switch Sticks and you can buy from them but they don't have an e-commerce site, it's the old school print and fax the form.  Besides, I really wanted it today so I could take it to physio with me tomorrow.

In the search I found that there was a little gift store just up the road from where I am doing some work at Milton called Michaela's Gifts and Homewares.  (Couldn't find a website but the link goes to the True Local Listing).  It's a great little place that I will go back to the next time I'm looking for a little gift for someone that is a little bit different from the everyday.  There are a few other gift type stores that stock these canes around the places that I travel, though none had the Bubbles design that I could look at as I was pretty sure that was the one that I wanted.

I have had a go walking with it and it is a lot more difficult than using the crutch and will take some practice and strength.  I can feel that it is the next progression from a single crutch before walking unassisted.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, Just out of curiosity, how did you decide which side to use your one crutch or soon to be stick on?, or do you alternate between sides?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the single crutch / walking stick on my stronger side which is the right. The right has been stronger since day one. I think this is mostly because the right side got a bit of a head start as the left was the one with the foot drop for a few days because of the slight nerve bruising. It's not too far behind though and I'm hoping that I'm not too far off walking completely unaided. I am pretty fast now on one crutch :)

    ReplyDelete