Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR)

The goal is to have a left and right Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR) completed on the 8th April.

After the right hip is completed, the surgeon and anaesthetist will chat and make sure that all is good to proceed with the left.  The right is where I experience most of the pain and it will be a great relief to be without this, though I will be very disappointed if I wake up with just one done.  Obviously the doctors will make the decision based on what is best for me and I would rather wake up disappointed than take unnecessary risk.

Depending on the bone quality and the degree that the protrusio affects the procedure, the surgeon may elect to complete a total hip replacement instead.  This again is not ideal as the BMHR is preferred for younger more active patients. The surgeon has suggested that I take a look at the McMinn Centre website for more information and I have found the site a wealth of information.  An update in recent months includes a lot more video testimonials which are interesting to watch.  I would like some more from some less active people (ie. not highly sporting).

No comments:

Post a Comment