Monday, March 7, 2011

Rehab Equipment

I went out to look at rehab equipment to see what I might need for when I come home from the hospital.  I will find out a lot more about this when I have my pre-op appointment on the Monday of surgery week, though I'd like to be a little more prepared, so I thought that I would see how knowledgeable the sales staff were in a rehab equipment store coupled with the information that I've found online.  The first place I found when I looked online was only about twenty minutes away in Algester, so I decided to head out and see what I could find.  I was helped out by a really helpful guy called Darren who was able to answer all of the questions that I had about all of the different things that I need to consider.

Some things to help me out will be arranged by the hospital.  As far as I can gather this will be the walker thing (like one of these or maybe just a frame like this - whatever they decide).  The extra bits and pieces to make the house a bit more friendly for me.  One of the important things will relate to making sure that in the early days (until I am cleared by the rehab physio or doctor), that my knee doesn't end up higher than the level of my hip.  Until the musculature strengthens around the joint and recovers from the damage caused by the surgery there is a risk of dislocation if I do.  Apparently this isn't as a significant risk with anterior incision but from what I can gather, this doesn't apply to me.  So, I have been looking at day chairs with adjustable legs (because my tv chair is way too low and I'd never get out of it), a seat raiser for the toilet, bars for stability and a chair for the shower.  I looked at a reacher and I'm not convinced I'll need one of those.  I haven't been easily able to pick things up for years and wonder if I could get away from not picking up anything off the floor for 6 - 8 weeks if I have help at home.  I don't particularly want to become reliant on aids, so it is a bit of a balancing act with those as well.  Obviously I need to take care with some things - like where I sit, chair in the shower etc, I do wonder just how many more of these things that I will need.

2 comments:

  1. i'm rather surprised that you won't be going to a rehab center first before going home, for physical therapy, training in how to use the walkers and learning how to walk again, pain control, etc....is this something not done in australia? or something you decided not to do?
    re

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a rehab centre in the hospital, so I will spend a fair bit of time there before I go home. I'm not sure if they will move me into a room in that section of the hospital or whether I'll just head over each day. I am pretty sure that the physio starts the day after surgery and then after four or five days you actually go over to rehab. I'll know more when I meet the the rehab physios when I am admitted :)

    After I get home, it will still be another 4 - 6 weeks of out patient rehab. Not sure how many days I go or much more than that. I am expecting it to take a total of 6 - 8 weeks to get to 80% so there will be a lot of work for me to do at both the rehab centre and on my own.

    ReplyDelete