Sunday, March 13, 2011

Shopping and planning for the week I am admitted....

I spent some time on the weekend looking for the extra bits and pieces that I might need to take into the hospital with me.  Where I'm not sure, I have erred on the side of caution and purchased a couple of options :)  I might have mentioned that my pre-op appointment is on the Monday of the week that I am admitted (I go in on the Friday), so I won't be left with a lot of time to do that much in the last week.  The main question I have is when will I get to wear 'normal' clothes again after surgery?  From some of reading that I have found that the answer varies so, I guess it does vary from person to person based on the incision type and how long drainage tubes are in and generally how fast I heal.  I have selected loosely fitting pants and shirts (not unlike what I wear to pilates now) and dresses that aren't too 'hospital' or 'old lady' looking.   I've elected for soft fabrics that feel good and still breathe.  I've also found myself a pair of flat slip on type shoes with good soles and reasonable foot support so that when I can't bend, I can still have some sense of independence should I want it :)

So far for the last week, I have two physio sessions planned, maybe one pilates and one hydro session as well.  I will be finishing up my medication on the weekend before so the last two will depend on my overall wellbeing given that I haven't been off the anti-inflammatories for that long for quite some time.  I am currently taking Voltaren (aka Diclofenac Sodium) 50mg twice daily and will need to stop that in the week before.  I will be allowed to take Panadol Osteo and Panadeine Extra which hasn't been as effective when trialled in the past.  It's only a week, and I will be fine, though I want to be careful not to set anything off in that week before going in.  I have been working closely with my physios and know that they will make sure that I am in the best physical condition that I am physically capable of being in, so it's left to me to follow their expert advice in that field and focus on other aspects, like eating well and maintaining a positive attitude.

In between the physio and exercise, I have the non-critical tasks like getting my hair cut and coloured and getting my eyebrows waxed and any last minute shopping things that need to be done :)  I figure that if I'm not feeling 100% when I first wake up from the surgery, I probably won't want to look in the mirror and see regrowth :)  Though this may seem to be the least of my problems, I think that everything that I can do to go in feeling positive and good about myself, will help on the other end, even if it is as cosmetic as getting my hair done.

No comments:

Post a Comment