Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pilates Day Today...

I have been doing pilates for a number of years now, with the last three or four with the same instructor. (Who has a really full schedule at the moment and a waiting list, so there is no point trying to steal her from me!)  Over the years, the focus of the sessions changes based on how I am feeling and what I am able to do.  The goals changed a lot earlier this year when I decided to proceed with surgery as I want to be as fit as possible and am prepared to push past what I think my limits are even if there are negative consequences for a couple of days.  I figured that when I started off pushing it, I had more to gain by learning that the limits were a little further away that I thought they were and trying a few new things that I might have previously shied away from.   I need to start to be a little more careful as I get closer to the day as I don't really want to be cut open while the joint is inflamed.  The step up hasn't ignored technique as this really is fundamental to the progress that I feel that I have seen by adding the additional session and pushing a little bit harder.  My change in motivation has probably made a big difference as well.    

My instructor,  knows my main physio really well and they both have similar philosophies on things which is most likely why I get along well with them all and have been going to see them for so long.  The other benefit to them knowing each other and having worked together before is that they have been happy to work together with me to set this whole plan to get me prepared in motion (haha).  Each time I rock up with something new that I have found on the Internet which they are probably a little sick of, though they are all grinning and bearing it and answering my questions about whatever it is that I have found and how it could apply to me.  Today it was about the exercises for both pre-surgery and post-surgery that I mentioned yesterday that I found on Dr Gross's website.  All of these muscle groups are those that are on my regular program, though some a little different as we have the benefit of the reformer and other equipment while I am at the studio.  We have quite a bit more in there and have stepped up some in the old program to push core strength, stability, balance and posture as much as we can through the period of time we had.  I think it was about seven or eight weeks out that I started with the two sessions a week rather than the one that I previously had.    Early after the decision had been made, the physio that runs the hydro sessions for me came along to help with this so we could co-ordinate everyone's efforts.  Seems to be working well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment