Monday, March 7, 2011

Hydro

I started the day off at hydrotherapy with one of my physios.  This is only one part of the whole 'plan' to be in the best possible condition for surgery. (There is also another physio appointment, two pilates sessions and other bits and pieces that I will cover in other posts as it requires more detail and will get me off onto another track all together).

I started this last week in addition to my other activities and exercises that are starting to add up.  In the water I can do more than on land, so hopefully there will be some additional strength or length gained.  It might not be a great deal as I am adding it in so late but every little bit helps and it isn't going to hurt me to be doing that little bit extra.  The main focus in the pool are the muscles around the hip, legs and core.  There is some arm work, though that is secondary and the focus of other parts of my preparation (Some of the exercises I have from physio as well as in pilates).

I was in the pool for about half an hour today which seems to be enough at the moment with everything else.  Last week, I went by myself on Thursday and overdid it a bit and ended up sore for a few days.  It's a fine line between doing as much as possible to benefit me and pushing to the point where I couldn't do anything for the next few days.  I'm willing to push the boundaries at the moment, though in the coming weeks I'll have to be more careful so that I can get as much done as possible.  I think that it might be something that I need to keep an eye on after the surgery as well.  I haven't really read too many experiences online as to whether it is possible to push to hard afterwards and end up delaying the recovery process.  It stands to reason.  I guess I will find out more about that when I actually meet the rehab team.  

No comments:

Post a Comment