Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Surgeon Advice for Surgery Prep

I found this linked off a discussion board where a number of contributors have great things to say about Dr Gross.    He looks to have done quite a lot of these, having started with the resurfacing procedure in 1989 which seems to be well before it became reasonably commonplace.  [Side note: The first I heard about resurfacing was in 2002 from a rheumatologist who I saw very briefly (as I really didn't like the guy), though he didn't really understand the procedure and its benefits enough to answer any questions or be humble enough to recommend that I speak to a surgeon if I really want my questions answered.  At that time I was pretty much running away from surgery anyway as I'd just started down a new physio path that was making such a huge difference.  (Anyway - based on the conversations with my surgeon, there is no chance I would have been a resurfacing candidate then anyway due to my bone quality)]

Anyway, back to Dr Gross, he actually has some prep advice that was missing from the material that I have brought home about my procedure.  Check it out here: http://www.grossortho.com/hipinfo10.htm
Some of it is pretty common sense and ties in nicely with the program that I have made up myself with the help of the professionals that I have been working with for a while now.

The recovery worksheets are interesting as well.  Though different surgeons recommend slightly different paths, the information is comprehensive and certainly interesting reading.  The exercises that are in the phase two are of more interest to me.  I understand that you need to start out slow and not overdo it and have to follow the instructions given to you by the surgeon.  The fact that you could end up in phase two at six weeks is pretty amazing.  The slower path might drive me crazy and I hope that I am in a rapid path plan.  I guess it will be a wait and see type of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment