Tuesday, April 19, 2011

11 Days Post Op

I'm starting to get settled into a rehab routine. I'm down there in the mornings for a hour or so and then have a slightly shorter afternoon session after heading back to my room for lunch and a rest. I've added exercises in each day so there is obvious improvement which is a positive sign that things are on track. I am pretty worn out after today's efforts!

I started the day a little fatigued as it is difficult to sleep without rolling to one side and there was soreness in my legs from yesterday's efforts. I discussed pain management with the ward doctor and rehab doctor today and have decided to hold out a bit longer as is as I'm not really keen to take the jump to a morphine based drug after my run ins with his friends oxycontin and endone. Not being a doctor, what I don't understand is how ibruprofen is considered a 'strong' anti-inflammatory. I would have thought that even the Voltaren that I was on was more powerful than that. Maybe it isn't and it's just different -I don't know. It's hard to tell right now if the other joints are acting up due to rehab and healing for the hips or whether they are doing this on their own. It's most likely the former. Either way it's a pain (pun intended) and one that hopefully won't impede my progress. If it comes to that, I'll reconsider the drugs as I want to be recovering as quickly as it is possible for me.

After rehab, meals, showering and other daily essentials (naps in this category), there isn't a great deal of time for much else so the days go reasonably quickly. One day blends into the next with energy levels depleted and little desire to do much else than rest and prepare for the coming day with anticipation of what new things that I might be able to do as the new day dawns.

1 comment:

  1. i am on a long term narcotic called fentanyl...i am on the second from the lowest dose and will most likely be on it for life or until they can figure out how to cure a compressed nerve inside the spinal canal....it's getting the right dose.....the wrong dose is awful.....

    ReplyDelete