Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Two days to go

I woke up sore and tired again this morning after a restless night.   I think that it may well be a conspiracy to take you off medication before an op like this.  Maybe it has nothing to do with blood thinning properties, more that they want you to remember how bad it can possibly get before they put you in and fix it up.  Kind of like under promising and over delivering.

At least I woke up mentally positive.  There are two days to go and then the physical stuff will at least be on the mend, permanently and I'll have much better pain management meds too :)  A little nervous about how much I might need them but overall positive.  I'm hoping that the visible improvements that I will see and knowing that there is an actual end date for the surgical pain will be enough to help overcome the pain hurdles.  I've been told that you shouldn't be a hero with pain meds and don't let it get to the point where you can't handle it anymore as it takes time then to get it under control.  It's very different from the 'tough it out' attitude that many of us learn and live with.  The other tip that I got was to use pain meds about twenty minutes before the physio arrives.

I had hydro this morning and that helped loosen things up a bit and I felt a bit better after that.  It was the last session before surgery and was a little bit slower than what we were doing last week.  I'm generally just a little bit slower at the moment.  Thankfully there isn't really a need to speed it up - so it isn't too much of an issue.  Not sure that I could have handled another full work day today so it's just as well that I finished things yesterday.   Being finished and not completely up to my regular activities on Wednesday, I had changed the hydro until today from Monday and am skipping the last pilates slot as I really didn't think I'd be up to it today.  Unfortunately I was right, though at least I was prepared and got to make the most of the time and feel better for it.

Instead of pilates, I went visiting and took cake with me.  It's nice to be free to do things like that when the mood strikes you.  I got a chocolate cake from the bakery down the street that I haven't been before and it was truly awesome.  I haven't had a huge amount of sugar lately so the sugar rush was a little weird but also awesome.  (I must admit after my long haul work day yesterday I did have a Coca Cola in a glass bottle which was freaking amazing - though I think that it may well have unlocked the sweet tooth as I also had a little hallow easter egg tonight too which hubby brought back with him from Melbourne - it was awesome too.  There are still five left which I am trying to stay away from so I can have some later but they looooook at me saying eat meeeeee!  We did have lots of veges for dinner and I'll need to make sure I eat lots of good nutrients tomorrow to prepare for fast healing and healthy red blood but chocolate today is all good since I've been getting all the good nutrients for a while now when I started the prep about a few weeks before the blog :)

The day didn't step up a notch at all.  It stayed at the same cruisey pace and culminated in an afternoon nap which was awesome.  Think I managed to be completely out for about an hour and a half which is probably a longer stretch than I managed all night last night so I was pretty happy with that.

The evening was pretty low stress too.  Visit from my sister and her fiance and I got presents :)  Not sure what is in there, they are special ones marked with different times during my hospital visit to keep me occupied .  Very sweet and very cool (and oddly heavy so I am quite curious) :)  I'll keep you posted on that one.

Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl TechnologyThe big decision of the day is whether or not to upgrade from my beloved kobo to the kindle for my hospital reading.  The reason that I am seriously considering it is the fact that the books that I want to read while I'm recovering are twice the price in the format for the kobo than the kindle and the kindle has access to more books and it has the wireless and 3G access so doesn't need to connect to a computer to get new books to read.  The new kobo does the wireless thing (but not 3G so probably just as useless as not having it in hospital) so it really comes down to the cost of books.  With the Aussie dollar as strong as it is at the moment it's even better for me as a consumer.  (Apparently its not that great for our economy as predictions have us getting to $1.10 USD, though there is always something that isn't good for our economy, mostly lately it has been natural disasters but I digress)  I do have some books to read while I make the final decision on this one.

Pretty much ready to attempt sleep again.  Hopefully I'm exhausted enough to just pass out regardless if I'm comfortable or not.  Wish me luck :)

[edit:  The kindle is on its way! 7 April, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment