Monday, April 25, 2011

17 Days Post Op: Where's my Rehab?

The gym was open today with one physio, though apparently I don't get to be on the list because I have advanced enough that I can do my exercises on the ward.  I am quite disappointed that I miss out on the opportunity to advance because I have been working hard and have been motivated to do so without supervision.  I still require assistance to do some of the exercises and this is left to my husband.    There is also the matter of correcting and advancing.  This isn't something that I can do with the help of my husband.  We need the professionals to help out.  This is why I am here right?  If I am not getting the help I need, how am I going to get out of here?

I have to wonder what would happen if it wasn't possible for my husband to be here so much to help out.  Would I receive a higher standard of care or would I still be left to my own devices to figure it out?  I don't know which it would be but either way I'm not very impressed.  I understand that staffing and services are reduced on public holidays but I think it is a little odd that a rehab ward can't provide rehab for all of its patients for a four day period.  My doctor seemed surprised that I wasn't scheduled for the gym today, though I'm not sure this will go anywhere.  I'm not sure what good it will do to talk to him further tomorrow about it as there won't be any physios on at all then until Wednesday.  The regular physio that I have been working with that is on leave had expected me to be assessed in his absence and the exercises added to.  This wasn't the only indicator today that the wheels have fallen off over the holiday period and nobody really knows what to do about it.  The best I can do in the meantime is continue to do the set exercises and hope that I've at least built up a little more endurance that will be noticeable when I get back into the gym on Wednesday.

Wednesday will probably not be a great day for me emotionally.  I will try to stay positive and not let it get to me.  If I am aware that I might be a little out of sorts and why, I think I will be in a better place to deal with it and get on with what I need to do here.  The reason will be that I was supposed to be up to going with the Occupational Therapist on a home visit in preparation for going home on Friday.  The home visit will still happen, I just won't be able to go.  It's also highly unlikely that I'll be going home either.  Then we roll into yet another long weekend, meaning the gym is unlikely to be open next Monday pushing back any hope of going home to much later in the week.

Logically I understand that this is where I need to be right now as I really couldn't cope at home just yet.  The absolute minimum that I need to achieve is to be able to step over the step into the shower and be able to get my feet in and out of bed.  These are the two things that I really can't go without.  With patient transport, the front stairs wouldn't be an issue though realistically I need to be able to get in and out of the house.  I just need to keep working and eventually I will be home and this will soon be a distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment