Friday, April 1, 2011

Pre-admission phone call from Mater Private

I just received a phone call from a lovely nurse at Mater Private in relation to my 'check in' next week to run through the process of what is going to happen next week.  I am the last surgery of the day and need to be in at reception at 11am.  I will then be taken to a welcome lounge where the anaesthetist and a theatre nurse will speak to me.  When they are ready for me, I will get changed and off I will go.  The afterwards process was also discussed.  I'll get more detail from Dr Journeaux's nurse on Monday afternoon about this.  I may go into recovery and then to a ward, or to ICU depending on what risk they assess me to be at the end of the operation.  I was expecting ICU based on my last appointment with the doctor talking about what happens.  ICU is apparently bright and loud and not as nice as a regular room but you have one on one nursing.  I guess I'll leave it up to the experts to decide where I should go.  If I am in ICU, I shouldn't panic if I wake up with a tube down my throat and shouldn't try to speak because I won't be able to.  Apparently this isn't completely uncommon for long late afternoon surgeries if at the end my body temperature is low.  It is just another precautionary measure.  It was something that I hadn't considered though and is taking a little while to process.

Another thing that I hadn't considered is: That dressing gowns aren't necessarily the most comfortable thing to sit up in bed and watch tv in if it is a bit cool and maybe bring a wrap or cardigan.  I'll need to process the whole 'cardigan' thing too....  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment