Friday, April 8, 2011

Game Day

The countdown is over and we are here checked in to Mater Private in the 'Welcome Lounge' which seems to be the private hospital version of a waiting room.  Pretty cool really.  Internet access, tv, proper lounges, no overcrowding.  You can even borrow an ipod stocked with movies and music.   It's a little like an airport lounge just without the beer.

I am remarkably calm.  The day has started out well.  We got up at six to get the pre-op breakfast and coffee in before seven (at Two Cups) and then went home for a nap until about 9:30.  I didn't really sleep but it was nice to curl up under the covers (on my side - which will be out for a little while after today) while it rains away outside.  We were up, showered and out by about 10:15 and are now checked in and waiting.  I'm not scheduled until 2pm this afternoon and before then I will be meeting with the nurse, anaesthesiologist and the surgeon.  I think they might just keep you in here to make sure you don't eat.

Hahahaha...  I was just commenting (ok bitching) that it wasn't fair that someone just brought coffee in here. I thought it was food and drink free.  Apparently it is, it didn't take too long for the nurse to descend and tell her to get out as you can't eat and drink in here.

Not much more to tell at the moment.  Will post again when I am out of surgery and allowed back online. I go to ICU tonight so not likely to be allowed to have access until tomorrow - probably going to be pretty druggy until tomorrow anyway so I shouldn't suffer too much with communication withdrawals!

About two hours to go!

2 comments:

  1. I'm 36 and need bilateral hip surgery. I was researching issues related to the surgery and found your blog. I will be reading all pre-op blogs and hopefully my recovery with your timeline. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Satyen! What type of device is your surgeon looking at for you? The rehab time is sometimes a lot shorter for people who are able to have bilateral resurfacing as they are generally in better condition than those who need BMHR's like mine or total hip. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to comment or email me at LoriCiavarella at gmail.com
    Best wishes for your journey!

    ReplyDelete