Friday, April 22, 2011

14 Days Post Op: Good Friday

Public Holidays mean that the rehab gym is closed.  I still have exercises to do, though it is a little more difficult without some of the equipment.  I have four days of this to work through and hope that the schedule that I am on sees at least some improvements.  Up until now I have seen a change every day and I hope to continue to see these things happen.  I'm a little worried that it won't run as smoothly and as quickly while the physios are away.

The big improvement today was being able to shower and dress independently.  Thankfully I have had my husband to assist me with this, so it hasn't been as much of a big deal as it could have been. (I'm not particularly happy with the idea of someone other than my husband help me with this.   Hopefully by being able to do this myself now, I can be a little more independent and put less pressure on him to be here first thing in the morning to assist with the getting ready process.

Between being out of bed at 7:30am and getting ready and sitting out of bed until my husband arrived around eleven, I was pretty much wiped out for a while.  It sounds strange but sitting out of bed requires significantly more energy than sitting up in bed.  I'm not quite sure why.  I had a bit of a sit back in bed and took advantage of my husband being available to give my feet and calves a bit of a massage with some moisturising cream.  It is ridiculously dry inside here and my skin is peeling.  It's truly disgusting.  It might also be some of the cleansers and tapes that have been used over the past couple of weeks that have assisted in this process as I do have quite sensitive skin.  I probably should have started this moisturising process a lot earlier to prevent this, however, it wasn't something that I'd really thought about happening.  I don't think that the compression socks are helping much with the skin they cover either.

After lunch, I actually went outside for the first time in a week.  It was a bit strange to be out in the open.  We didn't go too far, just out of the front door of the building.  I went in a wheelchair as I'm not quite up to that walk yet especially since there isn't any seats downstairs that are the right height for me to sit on while I've still got hip precautions.  I'm not sure how people do this when they are out of hospital but haven't yet had the precautions lifted.  I don't know too many places that actually accommodate for the higher chairs and toilet seats that are required.  I guess by the time I get home, I'll still want to be in going through my own physio program, working on the strength and ability to hopefully ditch the crutches at six weeks so there won't be a great deal of time to be looking at spending too much time out and about.

After getting back to my room from downstairs, I got stuck into the first set of exercises for the day.  This pretty much tired me out again and put me back into bed for a bit of a rest a chance to catchup with a friend that came to visit and to post for today.  I am still planning to do another set today to hopefully replicate the level of activity that I have been doing in the gym for the past few days.  This might wait until I've had a short siesta though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment